Saturday, December 12, 2009

IN TANZANIA!

After a 7 hr flight to Heathrow.. then 8 hour wait there.... then another 8.5 hourflight to Dar es Salaam! We're HERE!! I'm not as jetlagged as I thought I would be.. thankfully... the sleeping on the plane helped a lot.

I only have about 15 mins on the internet right now, so excuse my typos or bad grammar for the time being. I'm trying to type as fast as I can ..

So far we've had some funny encounters, I think some things are a bit more shocking to other participants than me but it's adding to the adventure :)
Some include side effects from our malaria medications...hehe.. (I don't seem to be having any side effects other than possibly being a bit dizzy) but others are/might be having halluciantions..or some vivid dreams.. so we've have our share of poking fun..

The thing so far that i think amazes me are the sounds.... the ridiculously loud bugs.... I don't get scared of bugs... but they are soo loud... I got woken up by a rooster this morning.. which brings back childhood memories of when I was in Malaysia. Even though Malaysia and Tanzania are soo different.. there are so many similarities as well. I can't help but compare what i know to each of these. The squating toilets, lizards around the house...... different than Canada that's for sure... but not realy shocking compared to other experiences I've had. I'm sure I'll be experienceing many other things in days to come.

The Plan....
After this weekend, once we finish orientation. We will be traveling to Lindi for a work camp until beginning of January. Not sure what we will be doing yet or how much internet access I will get, but wait and see. After that, we'll be coming back to Chamazi (close to Dar) to stay with host families at the eco-village and going to work placements.
That's most fo what I know for now. I'll try and update this as much as possible.

I did get a cell phone.. number is: 011-255-712-124047
Feel free to call me, incoming calls are free... and international calls are riduculously expensive. I thought it'd be useful to get one since my blackberry works here.. and the SIM card with credit only costs m,e 1500 tanzanian shillings= aprox $1.50CA

That's that... time's running out! :)
Thanks for all the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment