Since we haven't had to work or have EADs this past week, we've been going through debriefing sessions. This included a lot of reflection questions such as: our low/high points, learned from the group, learn about ourselves, likes/dislikes, issues...etc. Much of it, I feel as if we could be doing more in order to get the most of it. Part of me always wants to fix things or make things better. When I hear about an issue, I want to find a solution for everything.... Listening to some of these "issues" frustrates me when I know I can't make it better. We don't necessarily discuss it enough to really bring out underlining aspects.... maybe we're not suppose, I'm not quite sure. I just keep thinking back to Orientation camp when they told us to just trust the process.... well I guess I don't have much of choice but that..
One aspect of the debriefing which was important involved us discussing and remembering the objective of our involvement in the program. We're not going to Tanzanians to make it a better place, we're not going over there to "help" people, we're not going there to impose our ideas there. When I got into the program and at my fundraising event that I was going for because of more "selfish" reasons. I 'm going for the learning experience, I'm interested in seeing how the group dynamics work out and learning about new perspectives that will hopefully help me better understand myself. The method of figuring all this out is by participating in the program, and it is through volunteer work. We're there to learn to do whatever is needed, not to impose our ideas or make people feel second class. We're there to hopefully better understand ourselves and possibly others around us.
No comments:
Post a Comment