It seem as if life here is slowly becoming the norm. I’m getting use to living with no electricity and running water. At first it was a bit frustrating especially using a kerosene lamp every night, but now it’s sorta comforting. Fetching water from the well isn’t so fun anymore though…
In the Eco-Village, we’re basically in the middle of nowhere. The only sounds you hear are the sound of crickets chirping and bird calling. (I accidentally left the front door open the other day and 2 birds flew into the house.) Around the house are rows and rows of pineapple; I’m excited for when they become ripe :) I could live off of pineapple and mangos everyday. Fruits are so inexpensive. Mangos are about 30cents or less.
Every morning on my way to work at the orphanage, I go by a lady that makes Chapati (this thin flaky layery roti pancake type of thing), I can’t resist I have to buy at least 2 everyday. I also walk by the Kitumbua lady (this fried donut made from rice flour), I just can’t help myself….each item costs less than 15cents for each so buying several of them really doesn’t hurt my pocket book :) But they will hurt my waist line. I think I’m starting to notice it. Many of the foods here we eat are fried :S I definitely have to start watching what I eat or maybe just stick to mostly veggies and fruit.
I have a new routine... I've really enjoyed sitting outside on our "porch" before supper time and just simply stretching and doing some exercises. It's really the only time I day that I could endure any sort of physical activity
As for working at the orphanage, I really thankful that I get the chance to leave the Eco-village. Only Susan and I work at the orphanage, which requires us to take the dala-dala to work 4 times a week. When we first arrived at the Eco-Village, we took a route to Mbande in order to catch a bus into Bagala and Dar es Salaam, but now that route is deemed potentially unsafe for foreigners since it’s a small country route. I personally feel very comfortable taking that route especially if we are in a large group; I’m feeling a bit like a child because of all the restrictions. I understand safety precautions that we must take, but having a rule such as always having a Tanzanian with us is a bit extreme. Taking public buses is very doable on our own and I don’t need someone following me every second. I do appreciate the Tanzanians helping me bargain but I can do many things on my own. Meh.. I’m use to being on my own and doing my own thing.
Coming up this weekend is Sarah’s cousin’s wedding :) She’s invited me to go and asked if I would perform my silver plate dance (I brought my costume and plate with me). So I’ve agreed to provide a bit of entertainment for the event. It’ll be neat to see how a Tanzanian wedding is like.
Although I’m adjusting well, I feel as if I’ve been here for a long period of time already but we still have 2 months to go, seems so far away. I’m trying to search for a job now for when I go back… not so fun… But I’m definitely excited to go back and see everyone again :)
I'll post some pictures in the next few days.. the internet connection is very slow today and the the power keeps cutting :S
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment