I came on this exchange to gain a new perspective to open my mind to new experiences (I know that sounds cheesy). Lately I’ve been wondering more and more, I am really glad I came on this exchange. Thus far, I had the chance to sort of self-analyze myself to entirely new degree in terms of what drives me in life and what do I really want to do with my life (Not that I’ve answered that question yet, but I think I’m a bit closer).
After talking to one of the Tanzanian participants and some older Tanzanians at the Orphanage, it never really hit me how different our views on life and specifically volunteer work are. I keep asking myself, has CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) wasted our tax money on the Tanzanians??? I’m really not a negative person, but I am very critical. Hearing other Tanzanians say that the program now is a waste of time for them because they could be in school instead of volunteering, makes me a bit angry. I’m not completely sure why… but it does. So I kinda provoked some argument ad said “Why did CIDA bother spending so much money on you to participate in CWY??” Answer I got was “I don’t know, and I don’t care”. I think “I” was worth the investment of CIDA and my donors because I think that from a Canadian perspective having international experience gives you a different edge. It gives you the chance to see things that you the chance to see things you never have before and volunteerism in our eyes is seen in a different light and is valued in our society. I know why I chose to be on the program, but I get the feeling that others simply came on the program because they saw a potential for a free trip to Canada (I wouldn’t blame them), but I personally hoped that participants would realize the greater meaning in their involvement (and I guess some haven’t). The narrow mindness of some people drives me up the wall…. I don’t understand people…. You’ve seen a different culture…. you’ve seen a different lifestyle…. And that’s it…. There’s no deeper thinking to what you have to do in order to evoke change to life…. I don’t mean this as if I’m coming off my high horse…. Even if you know what could work in one place...does not work in another. The drive that is instilled in us, I think it’s culturally bound. Being brought up in a somewhat traditional Chinese family definitely plays a bit part in how I function as a person. The combination of my Asian values and my “North American” values created almost conflicting messages a lot of times, but somehow its worked out for the best so far in my life.
How we’re brought up to think and to do is so different. The ability to do “whatever it takes” is completely different and I think ultimately creates the drive we have or don’t have. If you constantly think that you can’t make a different and this is a waste of time, then that’s the way it’s going to be. You’ve already made up your mind.
Friday, January 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment