Friday, March 5, 2010

Almost there!

It’s less than a week till we head back to Canada! It’s crazy how fast 6 months has gone by. To be honest though, I’m a bit relieved that the program is coming to an end. I think most of the Canadian are relieved as well, most of us are really glad to be heading back to Canada. It’s been a great experience overall, but we miss Canada.

There’s been ups and downs in the last couple months, lately I’ve been feeling sort of a bit lonely. I’ve been going to bed at 8:30pm because I feel left out of conversations due to the language barrier. It didn’t bother me that much before but for some reason lately it is. I just go to my room and read and go to bed. I tried to join in the conversation before, but I feel more than a nuisance than anything else. I haven’t been feeling the greatest the past week anyways.. I have a bit of a cold. There seems to be a second round of sicknesses going around as well. Deborah (my counterpart) has Fever, some others have Malaria again and others have stomach problems.

We just have one more day of work.. then we go into debriefing sessions for 2 days then we have a bit of free time to pack and all.. then off we go! Once we get to Toronto..we have some more sessions of re-entry briefings.. then we split off to our separate ways…

I think moral and motivation within our group has been a bit down lately. We all realize the program is coming to an end.. but what does that mean for us individually. Now what…….

We’ve had this amazing experience and seen some incredible things…. Now we just go back to our “normal” lives and do what we did before? From the Canadians perspective.. It’s made be realize how fortunate I am for living and growing up in Canada.. It’s made me appreciate a lot of different things. I’ve lived this completely different life for the past couple months, but I’m sure when I go back.. it’ll be “easy” to fall back into the same routines as before I left. The lifestyle that I really do miss….. but what’s it mean for the Tanzanians? They’ve experienced the other side …. Of having a washing machine and so on… How do they feel? Hhmm…. I really not sure.. but I think it will cause some riffs…. I sort of sense a divide in the group the last couple week…. Not sure where that will go… but reality of the world’s we live in is starting to set in…

No comments:

Post a Comment