Monday, September 14, 2009

JAMBO!! (hi in Swahili)

Its been about 4 days since I've touched a computer... I was experiencing a bit of withdrawl there for a bit. We spent the last 4 days ish in Ancaster doing cross cultural workshops and a lot ofteam building excercise. Some of it was new, but most the the cross cultural training was a repeat of things I've already done in the past from international orientation and other stuff. We stayed in this old Catholic School or maybe it was a convent... not quite sure. It was a bit creepy though with statues all around the place staring at us, especially at night.

During the last couple days we also did A LOT of self reflection activities. We had to go back and think of all the things that have influenced us the most and why adn how it has shaped our values and beliefs systems. Its been a really good reflection time, for the first time in my life, this exchange is the one thing I have to worry about. But there are so many components for this exchange, our supervisors just keep warning us that there's gonna be some really big ups... and really bit downs... wait and see I guess...

The Canadians had all arrived on Wed then the Tanzanians arrived on Thursday. Many of them were saying that it was cold already.. even though it was about 20 degrees out.. they ain't seen nothing yet..

We had a campfire one night and sang songs around the fire and introduced the Tanzanian's to SMORESS!!! soo good...



We finally got to meet our counterparts. This is the person who I will spending a lot of my time with for the next 6 months. We share a room together and will basically ask each other just about everything.


Her name is Deborah, she speaks English pretty well, I just have to make sure I slow down a lot more when I speak.

I just met my host family for the first time today, I'll write more about them in the next day or so. Here's a picture of everyone on the exchange. I'll also add some more pictures to the slideshow soon...




No comments:

Post a Comment