Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oww....



Sorry for not writing for so many days, things have been a lot more hectic than I thought they'd be. Things have been a bit more exciting lately and I finally feel that I'm being more productive...

As I mentioned before, my workplace is with the YWCA. It's a fairly big organization, its mission is to support to support the right of all women and their families to live free from violence, poverty and oppression. There's quite a few programs that they organize, some programs include the women's shelter, food box program, Y's Buy, skills developement and many more. Last Wednesday with Saumu (my Tanzanian work counterpart) and I helped out with the Food Box Program. For this program in particular we do it twice a month. We basically pack food boxes for families within the community. Families do pay for the boxes but there is a subsidy for families that need it. The programs give a chance for local communities to have access to fresh vegetables adn also helps support local farmers. In a month over 450 boxes are put together.

Last Friday wasn't so exciting..... We worked in the Y's Buy Store which is a second hand clothings store... but it just makes me realize I much rather be kept busy by doing soemthing than to be bored doing nothing at all.

The reason I titled this blog "Ow" is cuz that's basically how I've been feeling for the past couple days... On Thursdays, it's our Community Activity Day so this past Thursday we visited an organic farm. We harvested beans, potatoes, pumpkins, and onions for the day.


My legs have been hurting for days... the squating and bending over hours definately worked out my body, I think I'll scratch being a farmer off my I wanna be list....lol It was a lot of fun, but a bit painfull after a while. We also got to take home a couple gigantic Zuchinnis.










As for the last couple days... I finally got a gym membership, thankfully now I can go there when I need some stress relief....

One of the most interesting incidences lately was yesterday...we brought some of the Tanzanians to the Gay Pride Parade in town. It was quite shocking for some of them. It turns out that being homosexual in Tanzania is illegal. The Tanzanians couldn't understand why they were publically displaying themselves and "promoting" it. The only way I could describe it to them was that, it's not illegal to be gay, les, or bi in Canada. We want people to be treated equally no matter what gendre, age, sex, ethinicity, and sexuality they are. I made the comparison to women;s rights... "girls shouldn't go to school" Is that a fair judgement... then I think the point came across... but it's still a very different mentality for them.


Check out the slide show for more pictures...


3 comments:

  1. hey sally, sze lin here...looks adventurous and what a noble thing you're doing over there...take care and lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearie...how are u doing...looks fun and hope you're having the best of your life.....take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just wanted to say "hi", and that I took a moment to read up on your activities. :)

    Cindy from Foodboxing. :)

    ReplyDelete