Monday, October 26, 2009

Awesome weekend :)

The past couple days have been pretty fun. Last Thursday we helped out at the Free Market Workshops at Trent University.
We had the chance to learn how to do silk screen clothing and also put our creativity to the test and created recycled projects with old books. I'll take some pictures once I'm completely done with the book. Here's some from the silk screening. Andrea made the pretty flowery deisgn, I made the sun and another girl made the bird one.


I want to have my own silk screening materials now, it was so much fun and I could create other things with it.

This past Saturday, Sean organized a road hockey tournament on his street. Hot chocolate, candy and even our own Kombe kup :) Also other awards like MVP.....etc.









Later on during the evening we had a pumpkin carving night. Carved 9 pumpkins in total were carved, some were even over 20lbs. It was a lot fun, especially baking the pumpkin seeds...mmmm...mmm good... :)


Things haven't been so cheeky the last little while, this exchange definately has it's ups and downs. I was thinking back to things from our training session in Ancaster in the beginning. At one point when we were reflecting, we were told to tell everyone about our "fear" that we had about the program. Trying to think back to what the Canadians said verses the Tanzanians. Most of the Canadians said sickness or cultural shock from what I remember. As for the Tanzanians, just about all of them said "deselection". Deselection is removal from the program. It's a bit odd that they are scared of that. A met a past supervisor last week and he said you have to think of it this way. "As Canadians what's the worst thing that could happen if you got deselected? You'd pout about it then go home and then go to that other country some other time. For the other participants, having the chance to come to Canada is literally once in a life time opportunity. For them to go home due to deselection would be basically an embarassment for not only them but their families.
This may explain the reluctance with certain activities. hhmm maybe things are starting to make sense a bit more...




No comments:

Post a Comment