Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wednesday already...

This past weekend was fun... My host family brough us to Toronto since one my my host sisters had an appointment there. We spent the night at a hotel (which had a great pool!).

On Sunday, it was the Annual Toronto Christmas Parade. To say the least... it was a bit disappointing. Tammy mentioned that the parade had seemed a bit smaller compared to past years. Eatons had not participated and neither did GM. There were probably some other big box stores not in it as well... It was funny watching the little ones get all excited about Santa, asking theur parents "When is Santa getting here? How is he gonna arrive on his sleigh? He has no snow.." HAHA So cute!


Later on that evening, we relaxed at the hotel pool/hot tub. We had a "situation" come up during our swim. Rachel, Emma, and Deborah went down to the pool. I jumped in first then my host sisters did, Deborah was taking her good ol' time so I swam away and was watcing the girls... I then turned around and Deborah was gone... I couldn't see her, then I realized she frantically trying to stay afloat, but all you could see were her elbows out of the water. I was so fixed on watching the girls who are 10 and 13, I completely forgot that Deborah couldn't swim. Well, I did know that she was a weak swimmer, but I didn't realize that she couldn't even bring her head above the water. I was about 7 metres away ish so it took me a little while to get to her.. when I did I pushed her to the wall so that she could grab on. So, after that scare... I said... swimming lessons it is. So we started with breathing techniques.. trying to think back to those swimming lessons I has when I was 5 was not easy. Bobbing into the water, back float, front float, proper kicked techiniques and how to move your arms... and telling her not to panic in the water.... hhmm so that was quite a reality check. Many people often take simple skills such as kicking for granted, but for someone who has never formally learned to swim.. Kicking, not so easy....

No comments:

Post a Comment