Sunday, November 29, 2009

Life goes on....

Sorry for the delay since my last entry.
Things have been a bit crazy and ummm I guess you could say emotional. We no longer have 18 people on the exchange. It's been sad and confusing trying to understand why some people make the choices that they do. We can never fully understand the background that they come from or experiences and lifestyle that they have had. We make assumptions and judge them and think it's selfish for what they have done... but we have no idea.... Now one person is left out, without having a counterpart to ask questions to and to keep company with. Thankfully it was the last week of work, so it wasn't too lonely.

Friday was the last day at our work placements. At first I was a bit relieved but then I was thinking back to what I've learned the last 2 months of work. Helping with the food box program really opened open my eyes to programs that many communities could develop to not only encourage healthy eating to famlies but also help support local farmers. It'd be great to see similar program pop up in NB, maybe in the future. As for working at Y's Buy, it was my first experience working with clothing retail and it gave me a new appreciation for second hand clothing. I had soem great buys over the last couple months for a great price and for a great cause. Helping out with the resource department introduced me to some programs that organization donations for non-profit organization and gave me better understanding to what funding is needed to sustain such organizations. Last but not least, Crossroads... the women's emergency shelter. many of us have assumptions of who goes to shelters and I definately did as well. I saw such a wide range of people coming into the shelter that it's really eye opening and definately eliminated stereotypes that I've had.

The workplacement made me realize how little I know about my own community and what services are available.....
Since we only have a little more than a week before we leave. We've been trying to think of activities that we think the Tanzanians should experience before we leave. So last week we rented an arena and went skating :) It was a lot of fun! Lots of falls and bruised hips after we were done but we were all laughing at each other skating... trying to skate backwards by wiggling out butts to make the "C" movement... Next weekend, we're playing a day of Christmas festivities.. gingerbread house decorating, decorting christmas trees, christmas carols and even a christmas parade. Should be a good time and one big hoorah before we leave.

Next Friday is out Farewell/Thank you/fundraising dinner coming up. Lots of planning coming up with it....

No comments:

Post a Comment